The KA1RCI Repeater Network

224.040 / 222.440 with PL 67.0 - Established 2007

Lincoln - Rhode Island

Scroll to the bottom for the latest update on 03/24/2012

I am often asked, "Just how many repeaters are enough?"

Well my answer is "One more is always good..."

After moving the 223.960 / 449.325 repeaters from the Lincoln site to Johnston in 2004 I ended up with an unused 220 repeater antenna sitting at the top of the 80 tower in Lincoln. As all good repeater builders know, nature abhors a vacuum, and this void would not last long...

The 224.040 repeater project was conceived when I found a 220 Kendecom repeater for sale with a set of Wacom duplexer all tune up and ready to go on the air.

This was to good to be true... Had I stumbled onto a I "turn-key" repeater?

Sure enough it was that easy, when the nice Fed-Ex man delivered my two big boxes that contained the repeater and the duplexer cavities, it was just that simple. I carefully unpacked everything, connected all the cables, hooked up the antenna feed-line and clicked the power switch to the ON position...

BEEP 224.040 was on the air!

It took me longer to sit down with the manual and reprogram the controller with my call and personal system configuration preferences then it did for me to get the repeater running. Sandy and I were talking on 224.040 on her way home from the Southwick Zoo the same afternoon that the repeater had been delivered.

These photos show the 224.040 on the air, just sitting on a box in the repeater shed, next to the 146.460 / 447.775 / 927.6125 repeaters.

(click on images to enlarge)

Testing complete, let's fix it now even though nothing is broken.

After nine months of running the repeater in this configuration (everything worked as expected) I decided it was time for some upgrades, installing the hardware in a rack cabinet was one of my primary goals. When the repeater went into service I had been so busy rebuilding the Cumberland 146.940 repeater the 224.040 repeater,  which was working fine, could be left on the back burner. Now that the new .94 repeater was back home in Cumberland I could pay some attending to the little 224.040 repeater.

I salvaged an old cabinet from a dumpster (better that going to a land fill) for the project and of course I had planned on making a new phasing harness for the duplexer out of Andrew FSJ-2 hard-line along with all new FSJ-2 interconnect cables. I had also purchased two additional Sinclair band pass cavities for some additional isolation and a Gas-FET preamp to improve the receivers sensitivity. So on Wednesday morning October 10th, 2007 at 5:00 AM in the morning I went out to the repeater site and collected all the components along with the empty cabinet, extra cavities, and a big pile of hard-line and connectors.

Round One... Let the screaming begin.

At this point I should explain that October 10th is my wedding anniversary. Nothing say's "I Love You" like getting up at 5:00 AM in the morning and dragging a big pile of repeater hardware into your house on your wedding anniversary. My wife Sandy KA1RXB is truly a saint when it comes to my sick obsession with repeaters, once we got past all the screaming at 7:00 AM when Sandy got up and found the 224.040 repeater scattered in pieces all over the house, I got to work putting together this latest repeater project.

These photos were taken early in the morning as I assembled all the parts for the project. You can see the empty 46 inch rack cabinet before the build, the extra band-pass cavities, and the existing repeater hardware now all back at the house for the rebuild / upgrade.

(click on images to enlarge)

When I started to mock up all the hardware in the cabinet it became clear that there would not be enough room in the 46 inch cabinet for all the new hardware that I wanted to add. I was going to upgrade to a S-Com 7K controller and add a Kenwood TK-830 link radio so the 224.040 repeater could be linked into the KA1RCI network full time.

 With the existing duplexer and additional band-pass cavities I would be THREE INCHES short on rack space. I tried several different configurations for the hardware but it just will not fit in this cabinet. Denis KD1HA donated two small 30 inch cabinets that could be bolted together but the cavities will not fit properly in the 30 inch space either so now the repeater was in pieces all over the house while I search high and low for a 60 inch cabinet.

224.040 Version 2.0b (beta)

It was killing me having the 224.040 repeater off the air with no idea when I would be able to find an appropriate rack cabinet suitable for this project. I decided to cobbled together new a temporary configuration while adding in the extra band-pass cavities and 20 dB GasFET preamp using one of the small 30 inch cabinets. This would just be a stop gap measure to get the repeater back on the air with hopefully more isolation and improved receiver sensitivity.

These photos show the quickly assembled (beta) configuration pulled together at 10:00 pm on October 10th, 2007

(click on images to enlarge)

My brother-in-law Keith helped me drag all the hardware back to the repeater site and we had 224.040 back on the air by 10:30 pm that night. There was only one problem, I could not find anyone around to help with signal testing, so we headed back home in "wait and see" mode. Later that night, just after 12:00 AM (midnight) now actually October 11th, I was able to connect with Scott N1RWW and he did some testing with my on 224.040 from his QTH. Scott could not raise the repeater, he reported that he could hear the signal, however the repeater was not hearing him at all...

Disappointment turns into revelation and 224.040 V2.01b (second beta)

Now back at the site, at 1:00 AM in the morning, I was staring that the assembled pile of parts when I suddenly noticed the printing on the preamp. In my haste to cobble together the new hardware in this temporary configuration I had over looked the tiny little (in) and (out) printing on the GastFET pre-amplifier. I have found that these actually work MUCH better when you do not install them backwards!

After carefully correcting my stupid mistake I headed back home for some much needed sleep. My head hit the pillow about 2:45 AM in the morning but I really did not sleep all that well with one eye peeking at the clock while clutching my little Kenwood TH-F6 handheld.

I just needed someone to check into the repeater to see if everything was working.

These photos show the now corrected 224.040 V2.01b deployed at the repeater site

(click on images to enlarge)

Finally someone check's in!

Sometime after 7:00 AM in the morning Lee N3LEE checked into the 224.040 repeater from his mobile somewhere in Woonsocket and carried the repeater all the way down route 146 south thru Lincoln, No Providence, Providence while on his way to Warwick. He was able to carry the repeater to route 37 which confirmed to me that it was working as well or better than before.

The search for a bigger cabinet continues...

While I was trying to find a bigger rack cabinet to mount all this hardware in I started to rebuild the repeaters RF connections. The Kendecom hardware has several SO-239 and PL-259 connectors and I wanted to eliminate all of these unnecessary connections and put one Type-N bulk head connector in the receiver and transmitter that will connect directly to the duplexer.

(click on images to enlarge)

I also started build the new TK-830 UHF link radio and S-Com 7K controller so the 224.040 repeater could be linked into the network.

(click on images to enlarge)

Update November 15th 2007

Still searching for an appropriate rack cabinet to mount all this hardware in.

The new power amplifier arrived in the early afternoon on Nov 15th and I was eager to get it installed however I still have not found an appropriate rack cabinet to mount all the hardware in so the repeater is still just a loose collection of parts sitting on boxes in the repeater shed so I am not sure if I will even be able to find a "box" to sit the new PA on.

(click on images to enlarge)

I was able to get out to the repeater site after dinner and after some testing put the new PA online. Everything is just stacked up on cardboard boxes but it is on the air...

(click on images to enlarge)

Update - New Rack Cabinets

224.040 Version 3.01b (beta)

I was able to find two more cabinets very similar to the original rack that my brother-in-law Scott had cut down to fit in the repeater vault. These two new cabinets would allow me to rebuild the Lincoln repeaters into individual racks each with their own controller making repairs and maintenance much easier.

These two photos show the three racks lined up in the house as I started rebuilding all the hardware. Syl N1DKF help getting the cabinets ready tracking down wheels and other specialty hardware for the racks.

(click on images to enlarge)

After I finished rebuilding the 146.460 repeater in the original rack cabinet I dragged all the loose 224.040 hardware that had been haphazardly scattered about the repeater vault sitting on boxes etc. down to the radio room and started building out the hardware in one of the new rack cabinets.

Starting about 8:00 am in the morning taking apart the collection of loose hardware stacked up on boxes I spend the better part of 16 hours mounting all the hardware into one of the new rack cabinets. I have had to fabricate brackets, send Sandy to her brother's house to have some custom metal work done, on and on.

(click on images to enlarge)

During this work I discovered a problem with the receiver preamp. When I first installed it last year (just hanging in the air by the jumpers) it was working very well. Over time the receiver performance had dropped off and I could not figure out why. Whenever it would start acting up I would go wiggle and bump things and it would start working again. I just attributed it to the very temporary configuration with random jumpers and adaptors.

Well, I just finished making the permanent FSJ-2 cables from the duplexer to the receiver preamp and noticed that the Type-N connector was just spinning, I could not get it to tighten up. When I looked VERY CLOSE it became obvious that the female Type-N connector in the preamp was spinning!

(click on images to enlarge)

Ah-Ha! I thought to myself... Sure enough once I removed the preamp cover the lock nut was loose and the connection from the center pin on the connector had broken from the connection to the circuit board. I have tightened the locking nut and repaired the connection from the connector to the circuit board.

My guess is the repeaters receiver performance will be very good again when I move everything back to the shed.

(click on images to enlarge)

Replacing the old SO-239 and PL-259 connectors

Ever since that very first day that I unpacked the repeater and put it on the air I was bothered by the old 8-X feed-line with the SO-239 bulk head fittings and PL-259 connectors. Both the transmitter and receiver had SO-239 bulk head fittings, then there was a short run of 8-X style feed-line with CRIMPED PL-259 connectors that connected to two more SO-239 bulk head fittings.

(click on images to enlarge)

I ripped all of that out replacing the transmitter and receiver SO-239 fittings with Type-N bulk head fittings. Then I made custom RG-142 double shielded cables that would connect directly from the transmitter to the PA and from the receiver to the preamp eliminating all of those SO-239 / PL-259 connections.

(click on images to enlarge)

At this point I stopped working with the primary 224.040 repeater rebuilt in the new rack cabinet. I mounted the S-Com 7K controller, custom mount for the Kenwood TK-30 link radio, and left room for the rack mounted power supply. This second phase of the rebuild would have to wait until I completed work on the 146.940 Cumberland repeater.

Out in the light of day... and more importantly OUT OF MY HOUSE!

(click on images to enlarge)

Dad and I returned the rebuilt 224.040 repeater to the vault about 30 hours after I started tearing it apart in what can only be characterized as a "Marathon" repeater building session.

The next morning I chatted with Sandy on 224.040 during her ride into the Zoo. She was DFQ the entire trip and we had no trouble talking in areas where the repeater had been difficult to use in the past. I would say based on this initial testing the repeaters receiver performance is the best that it has ever been.

The addition work to install the link radio and tie 224.040 into the network will have to wait until after the 146.940 upgrades have been completed.

Update July 15th 2009 - Possible Lighting Damage?

After many months of flawless service providing the primary communications link for my wife KA1RXB the Lincoln 224.040 repeater suffered what is assumed to be a possible lighting related failure.

One of the Wacom cavities has either shorted out by a nearby lighting strike or was possibly damaged while I was crawling round in the rack cabinet. The cavity will no longer tune correctly and the duplexer has lost the necessary isolation to keep the transmitter from affecting the receiver.

I instinctively reached out to my friend Jag and asked him to look for some matching Sinclair BP/BR cavities like the two Sinclair BP cavities I has purchase from him in 2007 for this repeater. My plans are to build a new six cavity Sinclair duplexer for the repeater.

Ironically Clay W8JVV in Tenn. had just stumbled onto this webpage about building the Lincoln 224.040 repeater and contacted me a few weeks before the "incident".